Children used to be taught by their parents that sex is reserved for marriage (Hebrew 13:4; I Corinthians 7:1-9), but this doctrine is no longer universally respected. Abstinence is ridiculed by society as archaic and unreasonable. The error of this new attitude cannot be overstated. It is just plain old foolish and ignorant (II Timothy 2:23)! God said to “flee fornication” (I Corinthians 6:18), which means sex before marriage, even once, is a sin against God. Eternal punishment is the price for a few minutes of lust (Romans 6:23).
Premarital sex also carries with it many life altering and even deadly consequences.
- Pregnancy – A few minutes of pleasure can leave your life in ruins, and your joyful plans a mere memory. Adulthood is incredibly hard, and adding a baby makes it exponentially harder. A baby is not a toy or a pet. It is a human being who will depend on you for roughly two decades. You will be a parent, and you won’t be ready for it.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – You can get an STD and die after one sexual encounter. This is not fear-mongering, it is true.
- Emotional Trauma – No teenager is ready for the emotional upheaval that accompanies human sexuality. God intended for sex in marriage to weld two people together as “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). The emotions involved are that powerful. When sex occurs outside of marriage, it always changes a person for the worse.
- Damage to Your Future Marriage – It is a near certainty that the sexually inexperienced mate in a marriage will become jealous of the other’s prior relationships. The experienced mate will likely feel guilt for having surrendered his purity before marriage. Premarital sex also creates an unrealistic view of the marriage bed. Many marriages cannot survive this baggage.
- Sex Before Marriage Is Theft! – A young man who coerces his girlfriend into sex steals her virginity, robbing her of the purity she had been carefully saving for her wedding night. Even if the two young fornicators marry each other, the theft still occurs. Sexual purity, once it is given away, is gone forever.
Think, young people. It only takes one time to ruin everything! Parents, make your sons and daughters think!